Friday, May 9, 2014

One Year

Dear Jayson,

One year ago today, at 7:23am to be exact, you came into our lives.   The bizarre thing about it is you fit so neatly into our lives it's like you've always been there, and yet with your arrival you turned our world upside down.  We wouldn't trade a second of it though.  You were the piece that was always missing.


From the moment you were born you've been an overachiever.  You get that from me.  I'll give credit to daycare as well because you see what all the other kids are doing and decide that you can do it too, despite your being so young.  I applaud your fearlessness and over abundance of confidence.  I hope these stick with you through life.


You've also developed quite the personality.  You get that from your dad.  From an early age you found things funny that you really shouldn't have understood yet, but you did.  You have that sly little smirk of yours that tells me when you're just messing with me and I can just tell I'm in for it when you get older. The odds are stacked against me between you and your father.


Patience is something you don't have a lot of and once you could move, I think we noticed this more.  I attribute these traits also to your father.  It's interesting to see his reaction to this.  I'm sure at some point his mother, your Nanny, said "you wait, I hope you have one just like you."  From her mouth to God's ear apparently.


With all that you are absorbing and learning from us, I can honestly say we are learning from you as well.  We're learning that there is more to life than the almighty dollar.  House chores can wait.  Throwing cheerios to one another is fun, even if it makes a mess.  A dog doubles as a vacuum.  And time waits for no one.  This last one is the hardest I think.  As wonderful as it is to watch you meet each milestone, it saddens me a little that you are growing up so fast. Every day I think about what song I'll dance to with you at your wedding because it will be here before we know it and I want that moment to be perfect.


Until then I will cherish the fact that you are such a little cuddle bug right now.  Your excitement when I come home from work will be forever etched in my mind.  Even the nights where you still get up once or twice will be a memory I look back on fondly. I can only hope that this loving, happy child you are is an omen for what you will become.


"I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be."

Love always,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'