Wednesday, May 9, 2018

Fun-loving FIVE!

Wait...what?!  Jayson's FIVE??!!


Oh. My. Gosh.  I have a five year old.  He's the spitting image of his father at this age and acts just like him too!  I'm in for it when he hits his teens.  Heck, I'm in for it now.   You've converted to the dark side, you're a daddy's boy.  I get it though, mommy is frequently busy with Alexis but that doesn't mean that I don't still crave cuddles with my little dude.  I'm also the "disciplinarian" while daddy's your bff, so I get that too.  I cannot begin to describe how immensely proud I am of you though at this point in your little life.  You are a dynamite big brother (I just love how sweet you are to Lexi) and you are rocking pre-k.  This year has been a big one for you.  You started school like a champ, you ride the bus (complete with transfers!), and now you're playing tee ball.  We completed Kindergarten registration (so surreal) and now we're counting down to summer after a month of birthday activities.  Yes, a month.  You had your kiddie party on the 6th with your closest friends at the local roller rink and our family party is the 20th.  So when it's all said and done, let's recap what five looks like for you Jayson:

FIVE YEARS OLD

Height:  TBD (well child apt hasn't happened yet); ~40"
Weight:  TBD; ~41 lbs
Clothing Size:  5/5T, but encroaching on size 6

Likes:

  • You are still enamored with your little friend Kenzie.  I love all the little projects you bring home from school with both your names and/or handprints on them.  Her mom gets a kick out of these things as well.  I hope you two stay close.
  • Your sister.  You show such a great abundance of love towards her.  I hope this never changes.  I know you'll go through sibling rivalry stages, but I hope the love remains.
  • Pizza.  Hot dogs.  Mac and cheese.  Blueberry granola bars.  Pancakes.  Ramen noodles.  If you had your choice, these are all you'd eat.
  • Yard work, house chores, and anything involving tools like your dad.  You just had to have a mini Dyson like your friend Jackson and I'm not discouraging it.  It actually works. 
  • Video games.
  • MUSIC!  Right now you love the Greatest Showman soundtrack.  I love that you love music.
  • Roller skating.  You've only been once, but you're a pro already.

Dislikes:

  • Homework.  Sorry kid, such is life.  What it comes down to is you are too smart for your own good, but you need to apply yourself.  I can't believe I'm saying this already at five years old...
  • Bed time.  You've always fought bed time and you were never a great sleeper, however, when you do stop fighting it you're out like a light in five minutes.  Fortunately now I can leave the room while you're still awake and you sleep through the night.  This is a HUGE improvement over prior years.
  • Listening.  This is not your forte.  You're stubborn, but I too am a Taurus so you will not win these battles.
  • Sitting still... as evidenced by two ER visits this year for a concussion and a split brow bone from your crazy antics at pre-k.


New Developments:

  • Attitude. 
  • You can say the pledge on your own.
  • You can write your name and read a few simple sentences on your own.
  • You can count past thirty.
  • You make up your own words to Jingle Bells.
  • You've figured out how to use the escape hatch on your underwear.
  • I've gotten phone calls from your teacher about telling some kid to "f*%cK off" on the bus.
  • Our parent teacher conference involved a discussion about pooping in the woods and discarded underwear.  Thankfully your teacher has boys as well, or that conversation could have gone way worse.

"Shakespeare sure knew how to write down
Words that will live throughout time
And that Eiffel Tower's still standing
Was built to be one of a kind
Da Vinci's got his Mona Lisa
And Beethoven's got his symphonies
But you're my masterpiece"
~Thompson Square



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'