Friday, October 21, 2011

Furry Friday: Ho Ho Ho

It's that time of year again that I start making a list of what to get folks for Christmas, my dog included.  Year to year I try to think of something creative for him.  Last year we bought him the Cave Bed, although I can count on one hand how many times he's actually used it.   One other year we bought him a Columbia jacket, which we really have gotten a lot of use out of (hello upstate NY snow!)  Of course we buy him toys too, but it gets harder each year to buy him something he doesn't already have.  Yes, he is spoiled.  And yes he is a dog, so as long as it squeaks he probably won't care what the heck I get him, but you know he is my fur baby.

On more than one occasion I have commented on how smart my dog is.  He is especially witty with his Kong treats (for those of you who don't know, these are tough toys that usually challenge your pet).  He has pretty much figured out how to get the bones out every time.  On more than one occasion he has climbed to the back of the couch with his Kong and dropped it so that the bone would fall out.  It's quite comical.  So this year, I think I will try to get him more items that test his skills.  Doctors Foster and Smith have a lot of toys that fit this category.   I think I'm going to get him the IQ Ball which will make him work for the treats.

As for the "boring" item which he'll care less about, he's getting a dental kit.  Nothing says "I love you" quite like a dental kit, but hey - dental health is important in little dogs.  I don't want him to have to undergo anesthesia to have the veterinarian do it, nor do I want him to have to have teeth pulled due to infection or decay.  He is getting older and as the years go by his chances of having to have a tooth pulled increase exponentially.  I'm just not so sure how good he'll be about having me brush his teeth, but he'll have to get over it.

Do any other pet parents out there brush their dog's teeth?  Any tips or tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'