Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pregnant Sinuses

This time of year, at least in Upstate New York, is particularly difficult on the sinuses.  The cold and lack of humidity leads to painful dry sinuses, sinus infections, and sinus headaches.  Now add pregnancy into the mix and it gets one step worse.  On top of having dry painful sinuses, you now smell everything 300x more than the average person (I exaggerate with the 300x, however you truly do have a heightened sense of smell). 

Today for instance I will dub Garlic Day.  Everything to me smells like garlic.  Well, I should say everyone.  Kissing my husband goodbye this morning I could have swore I smelled garlic (even though we've not had any meals with garlic all week) and just about every person I've passed in the hall at work had the "ode de garlic" about them. 
Normally, garlic doesn't bother me.  I'm the person who loves garlic knots, sauteing things in garlic, and sprinkling garlic salt on my pizza.  However, in my current state of affairs, the scent is quite pungent and unpleasant like the smell of infection. So I've avoided being too close to  anyone today to avoid the odor.  I imagine this is what it must be like to be a vampire.  Isn't that the old wives tale that garlic is offensive to vampires?

Well, I can honestly say that this is probably the first food item's fragrance that's bothered me thus far.  Many things have certainly seemed more fragrant, but never to the point of being unappealing.  Hopefully this is short lived or I'll quickly run out of meals to make at home if I cannot use garlic.

Do the winter months bother your sinuses?  How about certain fragrances?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'