Monday, November 26, 2012

Tis the season to be thankful...


As quickly as the Thanksgiving Holiday crept upon us, it has just as quickly passed.  We hosted again this year for a whopping 26 people.  Surprisingly it seems to get easier each time we do it.  My sister-in-law is a huge help as she is a whiz in the kitchen.  We changed the menu up slightly to add some variety and also to save on oven space. 

I would highly recommend Food Network's Maple Bacon Turkey and GroupRecipe's Candied Yams in the slow cooker.  I cannot locate the recipe I used for the creamed corn in the crockpot but it was  delicious.  We also enjoyed some cheddar biscuits courtesy of Aunt Lynda, a glazed spiral ham courtesy of my mother, and pepperoni bread courtesy of Aunt Janet.  If I were to win the lotto one thing that would make my shopping list would be a double oven.  Holiday cooking would be a lot easier with more oven space.  

As hectic as a 26 person holiday meal may seem to you, it went as smoothly as one could possibly hope for.  We moved our usual sunroom furniture into a spare bedroom and set up a tv and games in there for the kids, the adults hung out between the dining room and living room (football was on!) and we utilized our "normal" dining room table as a buffet table to hold all the delicious foods.  The dishwasher handled much of the silverware and plates, whereas the overflow was handled well by my Mother and Aunt Lynda who offered up their help cleaning up.  My cousin Kate and Aunt Janet have become the consolidation queens with leftovers, making the most of my glad-ware collection and gallon size freezer bags.  It really could not have gone any better.

How did you spend your Thanksgiving?  Any funny stories to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'