Monday, December 17, 2012

Reflections

Friday morning began like any other Friday for me, brimming with weekend anticipations.  Nothing could damper my spirit because I was that much closer to freedom, so to speak.  My sister was graduating from college that evening, a nice Italian dinner awaited, Saturday morning I was going to sleep in, and Sunday we'd be dining with Justin's mother and sister.  Sprinkle in some Christmas music and movies while wrapping presents and it was already shaping up to be a wonderful weekend.  Then news of the CT shooting was released.

Plenty of friends and family immediately began posting condolences on various social media sites.  Then the condolences quickly morphed into debates on gun control and God and ugly statements began flying back and forth.  This is why I've yet to say anything publicly.  It's not because I did not know anyone personally involved in the shooting, nor because I'm heartless, nor do I live under a rock.  I am deeply saddened by the unnecessary violence which has become the norm.  I'm fearful for the type of world my unborn child will grow up in, knowing that as much as I'd like to protect him there are many things outside of my control.  Thankfully all my family and friends were safe enough to begin arguing amongst each other online.   

My thoughts on guns?  I grew up and currently reside in a household with guns.  My dad and my husband are both hunters.  I grew up eating venison, wild turkey, grouse, and even rabbit.  I learned from an early age how to operate a firearm safely and even have a hunting license myself.  I do not believe that stricter gun control laws would have protected those innocent children in the CT shooting.  I firmly believe that anyone who wishes to do harm or commit a criminal act will find a way to do so outside the confines of gun reform.  Guns don't kill people.  People kill people.  Just like spoons don't make people fat.  Unfortunately people have this thing called "free will."

As for the religious spin so many are trying to correlate with the situation, I'm not sure having bibles in school would have helped the scenario either.  I say that and I'm a Catholic.  Do I believe its messed up that bibles are allowed in jails and not schools?  Yes, but again I'm not sure I can make a direct connection to the situation at hand.  Can I control in my own household how I raise my child to be God-fearing and to know what's right/wrong?  Yes.  That's all I can do.  I'm not about forcing my religious beliefs down other people's throats in public settings.  There's a separation of church and state for a reason.

What I do believe is at fault in a round about way is our Government.  Nowadays we have latch-key kids with little parental guidance or supervision because both parents are working to make ends meet.  Why are they both working to make ends meet?  Because the U.S. economy has been run into the ground due to Government greed.  Gun control, mental health assessments...these are just band-aids when we should be treating a much more serious issue.  We need to stop being reactive and start being proactive.  The proactive thing to do is get our Government spending under control so families can stop worrying about making ends meet and spend more time with their children instilling values that would prevent senseless acts like those that occurred Friday.  It's time to reinvest in family values.

To those impacted by the Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting and any other act of violence this world has been experiencing, my heart truly does ache right along with yours.  May your loved ones rest in peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'