Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Inspiring

The alarm clock went off at around 6am this morning and the work day officially commenced.  "Time to make the donuts" is what came out of my mouth while walking into the kitchen to feed Riley.  The ho-hum monotony of the daily work day routine setting in.  The drive to work, the phone call at 7:45am from my husband, and pulling into my parking spot at 7:55am... all the same as any other day. 

It's not until lunch that I come to realize just how much I take for granted.  I attended a brown bag luncheon entitled "Overcoming Obstacles" with the ladies in my office.  What an eye opener.  The speaker was John Robinson, President and CEO of Our Ability, Inc.  John is 3 foot 9 inches tall and was born with congenital birth defects.  I hate to use the word defect though after having heard him speak, watched him move about, and learned all that he's working towards.  The word defect does in no way belong associated with him.  

He shared several comical stories about living with his disability: walking through deep snow, attempting to grab the girl scout cookies from on top of the fridge, and devising a way to button his pants.  What really hit home however was when he said "I just wanted to be normal."  Normal, to me, is a terrible word because it brings to mind conformity and assimilation, the opposite of unique and diverse.  He went on to explain though that his idea of normal was the aspiration to have the Monday through Friday job, the mortgage he couldn't afford, a wife and a family.  Simple things.  Things I have and complain about.  

So I'm taking a moment to reflect on just how wonderful my "mundane" life is:  
  • The mortgage and taxes that I hate to shell out.  At least I have a roof over my head and a gathering place for family events.  
  • The dog that I argue about who's turn it is to walk.  Rain or shine that little guy loves me unconditionally and I cannot see my life without him.
  • My husband and his predictable morning phone call.  At least I have a counterpart to go through life with and he's thinking of me, letting me know he got to work safely.
  • The Monday-Friday job that promises a hassle at least once a week.  I have income and I did not face nearly the challenges that some do when applying/interviewing for a job.
  • My ability to easily grab the girl scout cookies from the cabinet even though I don't need the calories.   God blessed me with a fully capable body (and a little too much free will in the chocolate/sweets department).  For that I should be thankful.
Take a moment to reflect on your own life.  What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'