Monday, February 4, 2013

Winterfest

This past weekend we took a break from all housework we were doing last week and headed out to the Cortland, NY area for some much needed down time with some good friends of ours, Paul and Cait.  About once a year we head out their way for a weekend, and vice versa.  We also see each other around Thanksgiving when Paul and Cait are visiting family who are within a half hour of us.  But let me tell you, it felt so good to have nothing else on the agenda aside from catching up with the two of them.  Months can pass and you feel like you've only seen each other yesterday.  And the laughs.  I haven't laughed so hard in a while. 

We started out our weekend at Homer's Winterfest which included some antiquing and a craft fair.  I scored a Nickel Chicken for my mother while browsing the antiques.  For those of you unfamiliar with what a Nickel Chicken is, it's a hollow glass chicken figurine where items like loose change can be stored.  My grandparents used to keep nickels in theirs, hence the term "Nickel Chicken," and the kids would grab their milk money from there throughout the week.  School milk at the time was only a nickel.  You get the picture, I'm sure.  At any rate, the last time I found one of these gems for my mom I was on vacation with the in-laws in Tennessee about ten years ago and it was a miniature.  The one I found this weekend was a full size and it was a steal at only $5.00.  

Photo courtesy of Jordan's FB
We then headed over to Cait's sister Jordan's house for some quality time with her new puppy Olive.  I'm sad to say I didn't think to take any photos of the cutie pie.  While at Jordan's I also scored a homey little night light that says "It's the little things" and has a space for one of those little scented wax bricks on top.  This fantabulous item now adorns our downstairs bathroom, until a later date at which I'll be putting it in my kitchen or the playroom (whichever gets painted first).  Jordan and her hubs Jarid are currently gutting their new house, so we got to see how far along the project has come in the last twenty or so days.  I tell you what, she has one talented husband.  He has a knack for remodeling which is almost as strong as his love for gummy bears.  LOL. 

We rounded out our Saturday with dinner at this great little place called Dasher's.  We actually ran into the owners while out antiquing.  Apparently they get all their unique salt and pepper shakers for the tables from local flea markets, fairs, etc.  Cait and I shared a seafood dish for two and I cannot for the life of me recall the actual name.   It was very similar to Buca Di Beppo's Frutti Del Mar although in a fra diavlo sauce.  It was outrageous.  The flavor was out of this world and the portion size for two people was also more than generous.  Leftovers were brought home, which I'm certain Paul was going to enjoy for lunch during the work week, and we finished the evening with a few rounds of "Smart Ass" before calling it a night.   

After sleeping in for the first time in weeks, it was time to head home (it was Super Bowl Sunday and all) which was a little depressing.  However, Cait has promised to come stay with me to help with the little guy since she has the summer off when I'll be on FMLA so that's something to look forward to.

How was your weekend?  Anyone else attend Homer's Winterfest or enjoy antiquing?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'