Friday, May 4, 2012

Furry Friday: Trespassing

Last summer the neighbor in the house up on the hill behind us was allowing their two dogs to roam free which resulted in their dogs terrorizing our fur-child and leaving behind "presents" in our yard.  I'm thinking one of the other neighbors complained, or this particular neighbor moved, because *knock on wood* these two dogs have not been seen for a while.  I will admit that the yellow lab was friendly, but the large Rottweiler was stand offish and always made Riley and I nervous.  Please note, I do not discriminate by dog breed.  My Aunt (shout out to Aunt Lynda!) owned two Rottweilers, Roxy and Daga, who were both wonderful dogs.  At any rate, there is a new trespassing visitor leaving "presents" and burned out pee spots on our lawn this year.  It's a cute little Pekingese mix.  I say mix because the coloring is off.  I guess it doesn't matter if it's purebred or not, either way this dog is crapping on our lawn.  It obviously has an owner nearby because this dog is collared and seems familiar with the area.  One of these days if I can get it to come to me, I'll be sure to call up it's owner and voice my distaste for cleaning up after his/her dog.  

There is a leash law for a reason.  For your pet's safety.  Letting them run lose allows them the opportunity to be hit by a car, bitten by something rabid, eating something poisonous (we all know dogs will try anything once), and getting in a fight with other animals both wild and domestic.  Not to mention, there's always that chance that your dog ends up lost and never returned.  As a dog owner who loves my pet beyond comprehension, I couldn't fathom the idea of allowing my pet to roam lose and ending up hurt or lost.   It's also just plain rude to expect your neighbors to clean up after your dog!  I pick up after my dog so that when I am out in the yard I can walk without fear of stepping in one of his messes.  Same goes for any guests I have over.  I just wish other dog owner's thought the same way about their pets. 

As a walk down memory lane, it's a good time to bring up the top six reasons to pick up after your pet. I wrote this post last July and it's still as relevant today as it was then.

As pet owners, what pet peeves do you have with other irresponsible pet owners?  Do you have any suggestions for solutions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'