Thursday, February 23, 2012

Prime Care?

The hubs has been fighting a cold for the last ten days.  He's got a little bit of everything going on.  Head congestion, runny/stuffy nose, sore throat, chills/aches, and a persistent productive cough.  I finally convince him to let me get him an appointment at the local clinic and so I make the call.  One call turns into three before I'm finally awarded an appointment for him.  

Phone call #1 to local clinic:  Has your husband been to our clinic before?  Yes.  He doesn't have a primary care physician on file?  No, our insurance doesn't require one.  Ok, let me see if we have any appointments... no, we don't have any appointments.  Would you like me to check the other satellite offices for appointments?  Yes, please.  I'm sorry, no one has any openings today.  I'll put you on the list for our triage nurse to call you if she can squeeze you in.

Four hours later, phone call #2 to clinic/hospital which oversees local clinic from call #1:  I'd like to make an appointment for my husband.  Has he been treated within one of our facilities before?  Yes.  Let me pull him up in our system... ok, I show your address as ***** and a date of birth as ***** is that correct?  Yes.  He doesn't have a primary care physician on file?  No.  I'm sorry, we have no open appointments today.  Maybe I could see about tomorrow...  Our insurance doesn't require a primary care physician to be declared, nor are referrals required.  He stayed home sick today, he would like an appointment today.  He has been treated numerous times at your facilities and I was under the impression you had "walk-in" appointments available at all your clinics and now you are telling me because he doesn't have a primary care physician within your network that you are refusing treatment?  Hold on, let me patch you through to our triage nurse.  Perhaps she can squeeze you in.

Phone call #3 with triage nurse:  Hi, I was just transferred to you because you may be able to squeeze my husband in for an appointment?  <<<insert many huffs here by nurse>>> What are his symptoms?  He's got a little bit of everything going on.  Head congestion, runny/stuffy nose, sore throat, chills/aches, and a persistent productive cough.  A low grade fever.  This has been going on for 10+ days.  You know how it is to get men to go to the doctor... Does he have a primary care physician on file?  No. Our insurance doesn't require one but we've always attended your facilities.  Does he have a history of asthma?  No.  No history of asthma?  No, never had asthma and currently is not suffering from asthma. I can get you a 4:20 with Dr. Terrell.  Your husband will have to wear a mask upon entering the lobby.

So, I'm a little perturbed with how this particular healthcare network has handled things.  Mind you, we have both attended their facilities as far back as our pediatric days, all of our medical records are on file with them and it's not as though we're uninsured.  Justin also worked there briefly as a temp when we graduated college.  However, because Justin doesn't go once a year to a particular physician because he's young and healthy,  they couldn't be bothered until I uttered the "you're refusing treatment" phrase?  Redonkulous.  Yet one more thing wrong with healthcare in the USA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'