Friday, September 2, 2011

Furry Friday: Vocabulary


Earlier this year there was an article published in the Huffington Post about a border collie named Chaser breaking the world record for demonstrated comprehension of a 1000 words.  This of course is amazing to me.  Heck, it's amazing to me what few words my little fur-child seems to have a grasp of.  Just last night he was chewing on his cow loofa and I said "Riley, you want to play?"  His head perked right up and he brought his toy over.  Just to see what word it was he perked up to, I said "play" a few more times which caused the same head-jerk reaction and subsequent tail wag.  Apparently he understands play, which got me thinking about all the other words I believe he understands:
  • Bed
  • Work (when I say I have to go to work, he goes in his crate)
  • Red Guy (another toy of his)
  • Cow
  • Dachshund (another toy of his)
  • Eat
  • Bone
  • Snack
  • Dinner
  • Breakfast
  • Cheese
  • Girls (referring to my sisters)
  • Grandma
  • Grandpa
  • Mommy
  • Daddy
  • Sit
  • Stay
  • Easy (if he's playing too rough)
  • No
  • Up
  • Hugs
  • Kisses
  • Out
  • Come
  • Now
  • Let's go in
  • Asparagus (he learned that when I said this, we were going to the patch to pick it)
  • Truck
  • Water
  • Wait (we tell him to wait while we're picking up his #2, otherwise he runs and rips your arm out of your socket while you're doing so)
  • Cuddle
I'm sure there are more but these 32 are just the typical words I use with him every day that he seems to understand just perfectly.  What a little smarty pants.  He makes his momma proud. 

What do your pets do that amaze you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'