Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Stir-Fry

No, this is not a foodie blog.  However, I threw together a meal last night "Theresa-style" and think it's worthy of discussion. (Side note: "Theresa-style" refers to Justin's grandmother who likes to experiment in the kitchen.)  I got home last night and I just wasn't feeling another night of bbq.  I know I'll regret saying that when we have three foot of snow on the ground, but I just couldn't endure another hamburger or hotdog.  Enter Stir-Fry.

I had probably half a pound of purple string-beans and another half a pound of asparagus in the fridge which I wanted to use up.  I got the frying pan out to saute the two together with butter and garlic when the idea for Stir-Fry hit me.  So I pulled two chicken breasts from the freezer and put them on auto-defrost in the microwave.  I got some minute brown rice going on the stove.  Then I got fancy and swirled some soy sauce and honey in with the veggies and covered them to steam a bit on low.  I cut the chicken into strips and fried them up separately with some olive oil, salt-n-pepper, paprika, and a glob or so of sweet and sour sauce.  The end result was a dish even Julia Child would be proud of.  You'll have to forgive me as it was an afterthought to take a photo, so it's not plated fancy and there is in fact no rice in this photo.


"Theresa-Style" Stir Fry - makes 4 servings
(my apologies as the measurements are guestimated, I cook like my father)

Ingredients:
  • 0.5 lb Asparagus cut into 2 inch lengths
  • 0.5 lb purple string beans, also cut into 2 inch lengths
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small strips
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce (I prefer Kikkoman)
  • 3 tbsp sweet and sour sauce (I prefer La Choy)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 tbsp salted butter
  • 1/2 tsp of minced garlic (this is plus or minus, depends on if you like garlic which I do)
  • Brown Minute Rice*
  • A few good shakes of Paprika
  • A few good shakes of onion powder
  • Drizzle of honey
  • Salt and pepper to taste

* For rice - follow instructions on box to cook up 4 servings.  Tip: when water is first boiling, put a drizzle of oil in as it helps to create a more "sticky" rice.

Preparation instructions: 

Pan #1 - your veggies
Heat your 3tbsp of butter in a large frying pan or skillet to which you have a cover.
Add your asparagus and string beans
Toss in your garlic
Add a few shakes of salt and pepper
Add your 2tbsp of soy sauce
Drizzle over some honey
Cover and let saute, stirring occasionally 
(Note: I started out on medium heat and gradually reduced to low over the course of probably 15 minutes)

Pan #2 - the chicken
When you've finished getting the veggies all set in pan one, pull out another large frying pan or skillet (no cover necessary for this one) and heat up your 2tbsp of olive oil over medium heat
Add your cut up raw chicken
Add a few shakes of salt and pepper
(Now would be a good time start boiling water for the rice while the chicken starts to turn white)
Once the chicken has started to lose its pinkness, shake enough paprika in to hit most of the pieces in the pan
Do the same with the onion powder
Add in your 3 tbsp of sweet and sour sauce
Stir everything around to get well coated
The chicken should be done in ten minutes or so

Pan #3 - the rice
You'll want to try to time this out so that the rice and your other ingredients finish up at the same time.  
I used Kraft's Minute Brown Rice.  
Per the instructions on the box I boiled the water first (adding a drop of olive oil at this time)
Once boiling I added the rice and returned it to a boil
Then covered and cooked on low for last five minutes

ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. please keep posting cool recipes like this! i'm not a whiz in the kitchen and need all the ideas i can get :)

    ReplyDelete

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'