Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Home-ownership is grand…


It appears we have a variation of King Midas’ curse: everything we touch turns to crap.  Earlier this spring the lawn tractor battery needed to be replaced, the truck battery needed to be replaced, some capacitor thing in our flat screen TV decided to overheat, and our house decided to start peeling.  Then the truck exhaust went, the boat starter, and now the bearing spindles on the mower deck for the ride on mower.  And of course, all of these things cost money.  Big green dollar signs.  I’ve decided I don’t want to be a grown-up anymore.  It’s suddenly lost its appeal.

I take back all those times that I fought my mother to take a nap.  God, I miss naps.  I take back all those times I said “I can’t wait to grow up and move out!” Living was free and easy then.  Unfortunately I was one of those precocious five year olds determined to grow up and be successful.  Well, the growing up part happened and I guess I’m successful to a degree but much like the rest of the country, I was not counting on our “Great Recession” and the compounded greed of politicians.  So as successful as I am, it never seems to be enough.  I laugh now because my mother always used to say “how does it feel to want?” when I was a whiney little kid at the checkout line.  Well, now I have a new found perspective and a whole new appreciation on how it feels to want.

Ok, enough of the sob story because I know there are people out there who have it much worse.  I need to take a step back and look at the big picture:  although the siding on my house is peeling, I do still have a roof over my head.  Although the ride on mower has decided to crap the bed, I do still have a push mower and in truth I could use the exercise.  And yes, even though bills may seem to get tighter and tighter, I still have an income and know where my next check is coming from.  I also am not alone in this struggle, I have a husband who loves me (most of the time) and I have to remember that.  I take it for granted that when stuff breaks he takes it upon himself to research the solution and gets his hands dirty to fix it.  Thank God for that, because as I said before: I don’t want to be a grown-up anymore.  I’m on strike.

What do you miss about being a child?  What do you hate about home-ownership? Do you have a strong support system?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'