Monday, June 20, 2011

Vitamin-D Recap

This weekend was Gorgeous with a capital "G."  Temperatures were in the upper eighties and the sunshine was constant from sunrise to sunset, so needless to say I was outside soaking up as much Vitamin D as possible.  One would think that being an all-American mixture of Russian, Polish, German, Italian, N.American Indian, and Irish (and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few) that exposure to sunlight would result in a beautiful golden bronze but apparently this is not the case.  It must be a genetic science that Irish skin trumps all and results in a speckled trout appearance after any sunbathing.  I even varied between SPF 30 and SPF50 sunblock this weekend, but alas all I am capable of is a burn and freckle. 

Aside from roasting myself like a marshmallow, my husband and I took our money-pit of a boat out for a spin on the Lake.  We had an enjoyable day of fishing, swimming and enjoying each others company until it came time to head in.  That's when the boat's starter made a terrible whining sound which meant we were going nowhere without a tow.  All I can say is thank goodness for the kindness of strangers because eventually some gentleman in a boat from Massepequa, NY was kind enough to help us back to shore.

Fortunately (and as of recently unfortunately) the lake we dock at is that it is not a high traffic body of water, so while we were stranded waiting to be rescued I had some time to make a dent in the book I brought along:  Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson.  I must say that this is surely becoming a new favorite.  For any of you who enjoy books like Nicholas Sparks' The Notebook and Susan Elizabeth Phillips' What I did for love, you will definitely want to pick up a copy of Sundays at Tiffany's.  I am already into Chapter 27 and it's only been two days worth of leisure reading. 

Aside from boat troubles and a slightly painful sunburn, this past weekend was an enjoyable one.  On Sunday my husband made great strides as a mechanic and managed to change out the boat starter in an hour and a half, we went out for ice cream afterwards to stave off the motion sickness acquired while doing so, and then we BBQ'd with my parents while my sisters enjoyed the Aqua Ball sprinkler we'd picked up in town.

Q&A Time: What did you do this past weekend?  Have you found that boating is a losing investment?  Read any good books lately?

2 comments:

  1. ouchy, that sucks, but at least you guys were able to be brought back in :)

    do you guys have back up oars for time when the motor goes out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea we were very fortunate to be towed in. Will have to invest in oars for future mishaps.

    ReplyDelete

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'