Friday, July 8, 2011

Pickling the Bottom Feeder

So our boat has a new name: "Bottom Feeder."  It sank Wednesday in the boat slip.  The marina called and left this message "Uh, hi, this is Jerry over at the marina.  I'm calling because you have a 21ft Searay, and, uh, apparently it sank."  Excellent customer service right?  No return phone number, no "I'm really sorry, please give us a call at your earliest convenience."  Not to mention that he left this message on the wrong answering machine.  He'd called my mother-in-law's house and left the message.  What happened to that handy-dandy form they had me fill out when I purchased the slip??  Both my husband's and my personal cell phone numbers were listed.  Eh, whatever, all semantics at this point I guess.

Our boat looked a little like this (borrowed from thehulltruth)

So Wednesday night was spent rushing around to get our lawn ornament up and out of the water.  Apparently there are people with barges that do this for a living.  Other folk's misery makes them good money too.  Fortunately it really didn't take them too long.  It actually took us longer to haul her home since she now weighed 3x her norm on account of being waterlogged. Oddly I wasn't really too upset with the fact that our boat sank.  Right about now though I'm wishing it blew up.

You see, the hubs is like a dog with a bone when it comes to this boat.  He has been researching every possible thing that can be done at this point.  Our insurance was for liability only so sinking wasn't covered.  How convenient to have insurance on a boat that doesn't cover sinking.  I know, it defies logic.  Anywho, his most recent solution is called "pickling."  This is something you do to the motor. Apparently it helps keep things from rusting and seizing, but seriously it really doesn't make a difference to me.  I don't want to put another flat penny into this boat because personally I would never trust it on the water again.  I wouldn't even want to try to sell it to anyone because I know what it's been through. I think the best bet is to trade it towards a new or gently used boat, maybe even a year from now.  Either that or file for divorce because I think it'll be cheaper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cool kids leave messages... just sayin'